The Baker Institute is committed to scientific excellence and our ‘2017 Best of Baker Awards’ recognise outstanding research achievement based on scientific publications. They demonstrate areas where scientific discoveries are likely to have significant impact in health and medical research.
Our focus now is on translating this research to develop new drugs and devices, to inform policy, to develop best-practice prevention and treatment guidelines, and to facilitate education programs for healthcare professionals.
This is how our research is making a difference to the health of Australians, and people around the world.
- Catheter ablation versus medical rate control in atrial fibrillation and systolic dysfunction: the CAMERA-MRI study (Clinical / Epidemiology)
- High-fiber diet and acetate supplementation change the gut microbiota and prevent the development of hypertension and heart failure in hypertensive mice (Basic Science)
- High-density lipoprotein delivered after myocardial infarction increases cardiac glucose uptake and function in mice (Basic Science)
- Near-infrared autofluorescence induced by intraplaque hemorrhage and heme degradation as marker for high-risk atherosclerotic plaques (Clinical / Epidemiology)
- TRAK2, a novel regulator of ABCA1 expression, cholesterol efflux and HDL biogenesis
- Neutrophil-derived S100 calcium-binding proteins A8/A9 promote reticulated thrombocytosis and atherogenesis in diabetes
- A polymorphism in the norepinephrine transporter gene is associated with affective and cardiovascular disease through a microRNA mechanism
- Small-molecule-biased formyl peptide receptor agonist compound 17b protects against myocardial ischaemia-reperfusion injury in mice
- Transitional changes in the CRP structure lead to the exposure of proinflammatory binding sites
- An interaction map of circulating metabolites, immune gene networks, and their genetic regulation
- Specific targeting of TGF-β family ligands demonstrates distinct roles in the regulation of muscle mass in health and disease
- Imaging-guided cardioprotective treatment in a community elderly population of stage B heart failure