This clinic is aimed at providing specialist treatment for people with chronic weight problems.
What can we do for you?
This clinic is designed to assess and manage patients with any of the following:
- Chronic weight problem, with repeated episodes of weight regain after successful weight loss or repeated failed weight loss attempts.
- Severe obesity (BMI >35 kg/m2).
- Medical conditions related to obesity (e.g. type 2 diabetes, hypertension, dyslipidaemia, polycystic ovary syndrome, depression, obstructive sleep apnoea, liver dysfunction, impaired physical capacity).
- Past bariatric surgery, requiring ongoing care.
- Considering bariatric surgery.
Patients may see the Physician or a Dietitian for their initial assessment.
Each patient is managed according to their individual needs, history and preferred treatment strategies. The following treatment options can be discussed and are offered:
- Dietary/lifestyle programs, including very low energy diets.
- Pharmaceutical treatments.
- Devices to assist with weight loss.
- Referrals to other specialists for associated medical conditions.
- Surgical options, including:
- pre-operative assessments
- referral to an appropriate surgeon
- ongoing post-operative medical and dietetic care (for patients referred by the clinic and for those who have undergone surgery in the past).
Patients who attend the clinic also have the opportunity to become involved with Clinical research trials undertaken by our researchers.
Who can attend?
To attend this service you will need a referral from your treating physician or general practitioner.
More information on attending the Baker Specialist Clinics.
How much will it cost me?
Services provided by this clinic will incur a small out of pocket Private Services Fee (starting at $45) after the Medicare rebate is claimed.
Rights and responsibilities
What are your rights and responsibilities as a client of the Baker Specialist Clinics and what to expect from our services and staff? More information...