A doctor by the name of John Fullarton Mackeddie dreamt of finding new and exciting ways to ensure the most advanced medical treatments were available to all Australians. While it was Mackeddie’s passion to advance medical research in Australia, it was the vision of philanthropists Thomas Baker, his wife Alice Baker and her sister Eleanor Shaw, who generously donated a leadership gift of £20,000 that would establish the Baker Institute in Melbourne in 1926.
The Baker Institute’s Melbourne headquarters is now home to hundreds of scientists, clinicians, students and professional support staff who work within a purpose-built facility alongside the Alfred hospital, as part of the prestigious Alfred Research Alliance. Our headquarters houses more than 30 laboratories, with research spanning benchtop to bedside, dedicated to tackling cardiovascular disease, diabetes and related disorders.
The Institute also provides a range of specialist clinical services including diabetes and cardiovascular clinics, as well as Allied Health and Education Services.